Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Autumn Winds and Changing Colours Blowing Thru The Mind

A lot has happened since the last post. Seasons have changed and Winter is almost upon us, here in the Northern Hemisphere; and my life has been going through more changes, to suit the seasons ;-)
     I have moved to a room in a basement, with Shower/:Loo, and share the kitchen upstairs with my land lady. There was to be two rooms down here, but a "temporary" accommodation for a local teenage girl was necessary, so now there are three ladies and me sharing the kitchen. Mind Blowing though that is, I am surviving; rent is reasonable, and aside from some wasps that needed removing, has been uneventful LOL
     90% of my "stuff" is still in my daughter's basement, safe for now, and I have begun work on another Mini-Gym, using bungee cord this time. As well as a desk for the computer and writing. There is a narrow 7' shelf that I will be bringing here as well, for storage of this n' that. but for now it is minimalist living at it's best, in a 10 x 15 1/2 ft space.
     Which brings me to this blog. I could be writing about the 22 lbs (210 lbs down to 188 lbs) I have lost since moving out of my daughter's, and getting away from the fat and carbs diet; or having dropped my BP and therefore the pills I had been talking for it; or I could have written about eating without a stove/oven and using hot water to heat the food (other than the occasional use of the Micro-Wave); then again, how about the need for exercise, the atrophying of my right thigh, and what to do about it. But for this post, I'll settle for, What is Tiny and What is Small, with regards to housing...

      I have spent a few days in the past 2 months drawing diagrams of floor plans, trying to come to grips with that question, and HOW to go about building what I feel would be a livable home. The room down here, is Cabin Size, that with a smaller bed (it is a double or a queen, not sure) would be suitable for a few weeks in the Fall or Winter for hunting and fishing, but long term year in year out would be cramped. Even with a loft, though it would be better, it would not lend itself to having people (the kids or friends) over for holidays. And that seems to be the rub as they say; how do I entertain the idea of entertaining in this small space, even if I could fit more chairs and tables? The Space in Scarborough was adequate (kitchen, bedroom, washroom and two closets) and with addition of one room suitable for entertaining short term guests, but no very good for long, without the extra room.
      At the old place, at my ex's. was thinking of this, when I took out the measuring tape (never go anywhere without it ;) and measured the living room, and realized it was 21 feet by 12 feet... with the kitchen, dwn stairs entrance, and part of a bedroom. Did a non-scale drawing and could see the possibilities. Shrink the living room to 12 x 15, and a bathroom at the end, 5 x 12, as the first half to be built. then add the another side to it later, 10x12, for kitchen, and 10 x 12 for a bedroom den... lots of space (24x20) 480 sq ft. for one person to entertain; add guest cottages and it is more than adequate for having family and friends come to stay...
    This isn't the final story on what shape the house may take, but it is getting closer to an understanding of what I will need. A cabin is fine for a hermit, but for a real person, with family and friends, it would hardly be suitable. So back to the drawing board, and more thinking, but I feel that I am one more step closer to knowing...
     Oh, and about the weight, and the Mini-Gym: well, aiming for 185 by the end of October, and the Mini-Gym and desk to be brought over here in two to three weeks.
   

No comments: