Thursday, August 15, 2013

The Dog Days of Summer in Southern Ontario

It has been a wonderful summer, if you like the heat and humidity. WHICH I DON'T!!
Health wise, it has been a blow out summer for me. June my right foot was hurt by falling 2x4 lumber, July it got too hot to walk safely for a retiree ;(, and then August just as it is getting cool, my landlord asks me to be ready to move out by Sept. 1st, NOT Oct. 1st as I had requested, to help me get over the month and a half hump before motels and cottages become available for Winter Rates ;(
   So the first two weeks of the month have been spent trying to find an affordable alternative, that would not ruin my plans for saving $10,000+ for next summer... but I have managed to find something, that I hope will work out. It is not a separate apartment exactly... I share the entrance and the kitchen with the landlord, but have two separate rooms in the basement, with washroom/shower in the bedroom, and it is furnished... oh one other downside, but not really a problem, there is no internet. So I will need to install my Teksavvy equipment, for DSL... not a problem, I HOPE!!
   Move in on Friday, the 23rd, after paying first and last. It is a 1.5 miles from where I live, and I have down sized again this past month, to a slim 25 cu ft, from 100 cu ft in June ;) won't be taking the boxes, just the clothes, food and the computer/desk... should be a slimmed down experience. I am hoping that I can store the boxes here, with the wine that is aging ;-) I'll be visiting here and my brother's often, as well as walking as much as I can between now and Winter. Then it will get interesting.

    How to exercise in small spaces??
My idea at the moment is a bar arrangement, for handling, and steadying myself, while I do crunches, with a back pack. Starting at 10 lbs and working up to 30 lbs. That and weights for arms, should be enough to keep in shape, when I can't walk.
    As you can imagine, with the exercise regime this summer, I have not been able to loose any weight, and have kept a steady 205-10, which is not bad, but not good, when I should be hitting down about 180 by now... very disappointed. Aiming at the moment for below 200 lbs by October/November. Not a specific number, just below. Away from the rich food served here, I should be able to drop to below in a month, and then make some progress from there. Tempted to put a number, but don't think it is a good idea mentally...

    Are there Wombats in Australia?
    Have been following a woman in Australia, who like me is a haphazard blogger. She rides dirt bike, competitively  and she is just getting back in shape for a race. She has some great ideas for diet and I am going to add a few to my regime. I am having chocolate milk (my own mix of cocoa, splenda and milk powder) for breakfast, and sometimes a measuring cup of oatmeal and granola, with more milk powder, if I am going walking. I stop off at McDonald's, where I have the gift card, and have a soda, and chocolate muffin for lunch. For now, I have been walking 6.5 miles (done 3 trips this week, and will do one more) and it seems to be helping the stamina. I have also been using the cane less, and while it slows me down, it hasn't been a problem for balance, or the knee.
    My knee is still not fully usable like the good one, but with exercise it may strengthen to be able to hold my weight going down stairs normally again. Well, that's the hope.




2 comments:

Trish said...

And when, pray tell, can we expect an update on developmentsssss??

Trish said...

When can we expect an update on developmentsss, please?